Organic Update

We have released an updated version of the Organic lab and encourage all Organic users to update to this version.

• To update on Windows:
    Quit Beyond Labz Connect with the flask icon in the bottom dock. Open C:\Program Files and delete the Virtual ChemLabOrganic folder. Load or refresh the portal.beyondlabz.com website, login, click Connect and click Install for Organic. The new version will be installed.

• To update on Mac:
    Quit Beyond Labz Connect with the flask icon in the top bar. Open the Applications folder and delete the Virtual ChemLab Organic icon. Load or refresh the portal.beyondlabz.com website, login, click Connect and click Install for Organic. The new version will be installed.

These are the updates in the newest version of Organic:
Nov. 10, 2020 Virtual ChemLab Organic

1H HMR:

1. The carboxylic hydrogen peak for the compound propionic
    acid has been adjusted to reflect the correct chemical shift.

IR:

1. The IR spectra of 14 compounds that had peaks in the C-H range off by up to 300 wavenumbers have been adjusted.

MS:

1. The mass spectra of several compounds that were missing peaks or that had no mass spectrum at all have had peaks/spectra added according to most recent NIST data.

Synthesis Lab Bench:

1. The reaction of 1-phenylethanol with chromic acid (H2Cr2O7) has been adjusted to form the product with the correct level of oxidation. The new, correct product is acetophenone.
  2. All Diels-Alder reactions involving 1,3-butadiene as a reactant have had their kinetics adjusted to better reflect literature reports (reaction times have been doubled in length). All Diels-Alder reactions involving cyclopentadiene as a reactant have also had corrections made to their kinetics based on literature (reactions times are 25% lower).
  3. The solubility of a number of organic compounds (many of them the products of reactions) has been adjusted so that they appropriately come out in the organic layer during a separatory funnel extraction.
  4. The melting point of diisopropylbenzamide has been corrected.
  5. The blackboard image for the intermediate (lithium 3-oxo-1-phenylpropane-1-olate) formed in the aldol reaction of acetaldehyde and benzaldehyde has been corrected.
  6. Alkali salts formed during some reactions were appearing on
    TLC plates. This has been corrected, and they no longer create spots.

Qualitative Analysis Bench:

1. The Iodoform Test reagent bottle has been adjusted to indicate that the solution is made up in NaOH. This change is visible on the blackboard when you hover over the Iodoform Test reagent bottle.
  2. The identity of the Alcohol unknown #66 has been corrected to match the Instructor’s Manual.

Worksheets:

1. All worksheets have had a note added about the simulation of separatory funnel extractions in the software. Specifically, a note has been added to the Beyond Labz Activity 1-2: Performing a Separatory Funnel Extraction that is referenced in all worksheets. The note follows:

An important note:
In Beyond Labz, when any aqueous solvent is added to the separatory funnel (e.g. H2O, HCl, or NaOH), there is also a volume of diethyl ether added. The addition of diethyl ether is not explicitly shown but does occur. This will be most notable when diethyl ether is not also chosen as the reaction solvent. In the cases where ethanol is chosen as the reaction solvent, it is assumed that the compounds in the reaction are transferred into a solution of diethyl ether (perhaps through the evaporation of ethanol and redissolution in ether). Please keep this in mind as you work through activities in Beyond Labz.

Help Menu:

1. A small number of compounds in the Qual lab give a boiling point of “NaN.” The help files have been updated to indicate that this output correlates to sublimation.
1 Like

Hi @heather

I don’t know if this is the best place to put this, but this week I had my students brominate styrene for their lab (styrene + Br2 with various solvents). Under reflux, all of the solvents produce the expected products, but when the reactants are stirred at room temperature, there are some very unusual results. For example, when styrene is stirred with bromine in ether or with no solvent (neat), it produces boric acid!

Hi csjoiner,

I noticed some of these myself just yesterday and the day before! They are all styrene reactions. I have it on our development list to fix. Thanks for letting us know!

Kelsey