Linux VM install - Which version of Windows recommended?

I need to install Beyond Labz on a computer running Linux using a VM. What version of Windows should I run in my VM for best compatibility with Beyond Labz?

Alternately, do I really need to install the server? Does East Los Angeles College have a server license that would allow me to run a platform agnostic client in my web browser?

If I am forced to buy a laptop running Windows just to use Beyond Labz, how much RAM is required to run Beyond Labz under Windows 10?

I have an old 32 bit desktop computer that I could use. Will Beyond Labz run on 32 bit Windows 10?

@phil
Oh now this will be fun! We haven’t tried this, so I asked my boss and he said:
A VM should work fine in Linux. They would need Windows 10. That is what we do on our Macs and it works fine."
Do windows 10 please.
We do not have any idea if East Los Angeles is running our program through a remote server. You would have to ask the IT department.
We will not run on 32 bit, sorry. Only 64 bit.
How much ram- depends on how many of our individual lab programs you want to install. My boss said 4Gb would work for all the lab modules.
I hope that helps. I look forward to hearing how it works on the Linux VM.

I have ordered a Windows 10 system builder install disk that I THINK can be installed in a VM on hardware that does not have a Windows activation key in ACPI, but who knows given the moving target that is Windows licensing. If you have any guidance based on the creation of your Mac VM’s (source media and licensing mode), I’d appreciate it.

The Los Angeles Community College District has a sitewide License Activation Code for Beyond Labz. I see that Beyond Labz has two code numbers, one called the License Activation Code, and the other apparently called the “License License Access Code” - But there is no explanation of what the different codes mean.

On the Windows 10 VM front, I discovered that ONE of our laptops has a Windows 10 license embedded in it’s ACPI, so it should be possible to install the Windows 10 ISO provided for download by Microsoft into a VM. Will update as I proceed. I will also try installing the System Builder version on a computer that does NOT have a license embedded in the ACPI.

Of course, the real solution to all these issues is for Beyond Labz to hire a software architect to design a platform independent API.

Okay, I installed Windows 10 in a VM on a laptop with an ACPI windows license.

The qemu command to begin the install (based on the instructions at https://www.funtoo.org/Windows_10_Virtualization_with_KVM was:

#!/bin/sh

WINIMG=$HOME/QEMU/Win10_2004_English_x64.iso
VIRTIMG=$HOME/QEMU/virtio-win-0.1.189.iso
qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -cpu host -m 4G -drive driver=raw,file=$HOME/QEMU/win10.img,if=virtio \
-m 6144 -net nic,model=virtio -net user -cdrom ${WINIMG} \
-drive file=${VIRTIMG},index=3,media=cdrom \
-rtc base=localtime,clock=host -smp cores=2,threads=4 \
-usb -device usb-tablet \ -net user,smb=$HOME

This worked perfectly (although I suspect that all the virtio business is not needed, and does nothing). Note that I clicked the “I don’t have internet” question in the windows install and it had no impact on the install, but is necessary for the VM to work properly.

I was then able to start Windows 10 using this command:

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/QEMU
qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -cpu host -m 4G -drive driver=raw,file=$HOME/QEMU/win10.img \
-net nic -net user -vga std \
-rtc base=localtime,clock=host \
-usb -device usb-tablet -smp cores=2,threads=4

I was able to install Beyond Labz and am currently installing the chem labs. I will edit this post with further details.

NEW: First failure of Beyond Labz - Installation of the Chemistry labs failed. The installer said “please try again”, so I’m retrying…

It works! Yay!

When the lab is running, it appears in a very small window, probably appropriate for a computer with an 800x600 display. Sigh.