Coronavirus-based needs

I have one week to become proficient in never-before-used on-line instruction. What would help enormously is not having to spend so much time trying to find an answer to a question as simple as: how does an instructor assign unknowns in the qualitative organic analysis lab app? Is there a general, comprehensive Users Guide for instructors? I’ve scanned FAQs and worksheets, etc. I just don’t have the time to keep doing that.

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

There is a comprehensive user guide included in the Labs themselves - you can access it via Help within the app.

Here are some screenshot examples -

You have three possible ways to assign unknowns for students:

1. Tell students to perform an unknown for a certain functional group or a general unknown by clicking on the functional group from the blackboard. They can practice with a known or do the unknown. The bottle or tooltip will say the unknown number, and they report back their determination of the compound and you can grade it using the key.
  2. You can assign one of the Qualitative Analysis lab activities (worksheets) and have students report their results that way.
  3. Have students go to the clipboard and select one of the functional groups or the general unknown, and the unknown is placed on the cork ring for analysis. The students then do the work, record their answer in lab book, save the lab book externally and send to you for grading.

We do hope that’s helpful (and please let us know if not!)

We are also planning a series of online training / demonstration webinars in the coming week, please check back to see timings and subject if you’d like to join.

I purchased a copy, had read rhrough the material you noted, and played with the qualitative organic analysis lab. My questions are: 1) can I, as instructor, assign a specific different unknown by number to each student, and 2) can I, as instructor, have a listing of that associates a numbered unknown with the answer(i.e., the identify of the compound) (rather than having me work through the unknown itself to determine what it is.

Note that, in playing with the software, I sometimes see the name of the unknown alongside the working flask (and, on some runs of the exercise just “unknown” appears). I don’t know what process triggers the particular effect (actual name or unknown). As you might suspect, I am one of the people who is starting from scratch in terms of trying to convert, in one week, my teaching to on-line mode, and just familiarizing myself with various hardware and software is consuming great blocks of time (it’s amazing how many ways you can crash hardware and software and how much time must be committed to reading of directions and information and “helpful” webinars). I am not unengaged with technoloogy; I project from a laptop in the classroom, use clickers, and am familiar with and use Blackboard for a variety of things. What is important to me at the moment is finding time to record my lecture classes and/or competently convey to students the change from actual laboratory-based qual organic to the Beyond Labz approach.

I am also sincerely grateful for you help in trying to accomplish all that.

I’m going to move this to an email so I can share the Instructor Guide and not make it public for you…

We do not have a way to assign specific unknowns to students since we do not track student identity. We randomize unknowns based on computer id and other factors.

When a functional group is selected in the Organic Qualitative lab from the chalkboard, a set of knowns are provided on the stockroom shelf AND one unknown with an unknown number. Those unknowns are designed to be used with the lab activities or with assignments you give out on your own. Answers are provided in the instructor manual. So if you mouse over some of the bottles or if you add a known or unknown to the flask, the mouse over (tooltip) will say what the compound is for knowns or say Unknown #nn if it is an unknown.

The unknowns WITHOUT numbers are those that come from the clipboard. Clicking on unknowns from the clipboard is another way of assigning random unknowns based on functional group or a general unknown. Those answers are revealed in the lab book using the Report button. Students can report their results by saving the lab book externally and then sending to the instructor or uploading to the LMS.

So, numbered unknowns come from the chalkboard (or the first set in the clipboard) and unnumbered unknowns come from the clipboard (the second set) that are then reported through the lab book.